Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cooking on the Cheap - Roasted Red Peppers


Red peppers can be expensive, but I found some on the clearance rack at Meijer this afternoon.  They were marked down to $2.33 for six.   Well they look delicious, but it isn't a good deal if they go bad before they get eaten, is it?  So I am making my favorite healthy treats:  Chipotle-Red Pepper Sauce.     


This recipe is from Weber's Real Grilling: Over 200 Original Recipes.  Whenever I find red peppers on sale, I make a large batch to freeze.  


First, I roast the peppers on my gas stove, turning them frequently.  They are ready when the skins turn black and start peeling off.  This step takes some time and stinks up the kitchen, but the end result is worth it.


Once the peppers have cooled enough to touch, I remove the peeling, stems, and seed.   Then I toss them in the food processor with garlic, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper.  After that the secret ingredient goes in - one canned chipotle chile pepper for every two red peppers.  The red pepper adds sweetness and the chipotle adds a spicy/smoky taste.


Everything gets blended in the food processor and the job is done.  This sauce can put on tacos, used as a dipping sauce for grilled meat, or added to soups and pasta sauces.   


I like to line a muffin pan with plastic wrap and then pour some sauce into each cup.  Once it has frozen, I use the plastic wrap to remove it from the muffin tin and then store it in a plastic bag in the freezer.   Then I have pre-portioned servings of sauce to use whenever I want to give dinner a little burst of spicy flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment